The Episode: Why Your Story Is Crucial to Building Your Online Business
Who can disagree that we relate better to people whose stories we know? When we understand what someone has gone through, we find it easier to relate to them and it makes meaningful connection possible. That is why your story is a powerful tool for building your online business.
While you might think that your story is mundane or irrelevant, others don’t see it that way. The different things that make you unique could be exactly what resonates with your target audience and get the business streaming in!
In This Episode
- The common but erroneous assumption that people hire you because of your credentials [0:16:21]
- What watching Simone Biles can teach us about the importance of telling your story [0:17:10]
- How a person’s story is gets others to buy into and care about them [0:18:02]
- The importance of an authentic story in boosting your unique selling proposition [0:19:16]
- How to leverage your story to get people emotionally invested [0:19:54]
- The power of having an authentic story in the online space [0:25:01]
- The problem with saying what you think others want to hear and pursuing a big market [0:26:34]
- Focusing on the “right” thing vs. focusing on the right thing for you [0:28:07]
- Why you need to define what makes you unique [0:30:42]
- When a story resonates with your audience, keep pushing that message [0:33:54]
- The reward of staying true to yourself and ignoring the likes and opinions of others [0:36:24]
“A lot of people try to say what they think is the right thing.” — Jonathan Goodman
Credentials Are Not Everything
While you might think your qualifications and certifications will convince people to work with you, in reality they seldom know what all the letters stand for. Yes, other coaches will recognize your credentials. But they don’t mean much to your ideal clients.
The Value of an Authentic Story
A person’s story—including their personal and professional highs and lows—is a powerful tool for making them easier to connect with emotionally. People want to see your human side. The challenges you’ve overcome give them a reason to like and root for you. Even the highest-performing athletes need an authentic story to maintain a strong following.
Stop Focusing on the Shoulds
Don’t create a USP based on trends, or on what you think other people want. If you choose to serve a target audience with whom you have nothing in common, there will always be an emotional and experiential disconnect between you and them. Choose an area where you have personal experience and a true desire to serve.
Ready to scale up your online fitness business?
Apply for OTA 2 here: www.thePTDC.com/OTA2
This episode is brought to you by PT Distinction, the cutting-edge software designed purely for online coaches, to help them save time, expand their reach, and get back to doing what they do best—helping clients get amazing results.
As an added bonus for our listeners, get a full 60-DAY FREE TRIAL to test-drive PT Distinction. Start today at OnlineTrainer.com/ptd
This episode is brought to you by the Online Trainer Academy Certification and Mentorship, the leading business development course for personal trainers, nutrition coaches, and gym owners to responsibly and successfully start, build, and grow your online fitness or nutrition coaching business.
Start today for just $87/month at OnlineTrainer.com/Academy
Please Subscribe and Review
Enjoy this podcast? We’re so glad.
Please subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts so you get the next episode delivered automatically as soon as it’s posted.
Please leave a review to help others find the podcast as well.